Mission statement & goals
Mathematics has become the key component in all areas of science and industrial
applications. New research in mathematics leads to innovative solutions of complex
real world problems. Using mathematical techniques, the development process of
new products has become easier, faster and more cost-efficient.
From financial analysis to medical applications, from computing the temperature
distribution in the blast furnace to the mirror control of the largest telescopes,
mathematics is becoming an increasingly powerful tool used by the industry and
other scientific fields.
With a national network of research institutions specializing in industrial mathematics,
our aim is to establish a link between the industry, the users of mathematical innovations,
and the academic sector, the developers of mathematical innovations. The network makes it
easier for companies to access highly skilled research groups, spread throughout Austria,
based on their mathematical expertise.
- Promote cooperation between industry and mathematical research institutions in Austria and Europe.
- Increase business potential through cutting edge mathematical techniques.
- Stimulate mathematical research by solving real-life problems from the industry.
Provide an infrastructure that unleashes maximal impact of mathematics on innovations in key technologies
by enhancing communication and information exchange between:
- mathematicians in academia and research institutions,
- industrial partners.
Establish strategic connections among the research institutions and centers working in the field
of Industrial Mathematics and Mathematics for Innovation.
Extend the European Service Network for Mathematics in Industry and Innovation
(EU-MATHS-IN) to Austria and promote international cooperation.
- Promote the technological aspects of mathematics by raising public awareness.
- Establish a firm base of mathematical research and industrial application for the future.